Jump to main column content

Friday, July 01, 2005

How small is your world?


Linda and I went walking on campus today. I believe we may have reach a new distance record for her. Perhaps 500 feet. It took a long time, and we stopped part way to put her air cast on (to support her right ankle).

She decided she would like a picnic on the concrete bench just north of Kirk building, so I went to Main Street and got sandwiches. While we were eating, a blond woman crossed the quad in our direction. Linda said, Look, it's Karen.

I have better eyesight than Linda, so I said, That's not Karen. But she looks familiar, I wouldn't be surprised if we know her when she gets closer.

She came right up to the doors of Kirk, then decided they were not what she wanted. She looked lost, so I asked her if she needed directions. She looked up gratefully, then paused, You're Don Bindner. I was impressed.

I'm Mandy B. It was quite literally the girl who grew up next door. Imagine that. She just took a job at Truman and was picking up her ID.