Jump to main column content

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Too busy living to post


We went to visit my parents last week. I didn't want to say Hey, we're gone. Come break into my house. So I didn't post. This makes our farthest trip yet. It takes us about 8hr to get there. Before the stroke (and Ellie) we could do it in closer to 6, so we're not as fast as we used to be.

I called before we went to try and coordinate things for our stay. I brought some grab bars for the bathroom and installed one by each shower. The first night we stayed in the guest room downstairs, but the bathroom was hard. After that, we stayed upstairs, so Linda could use the shower there. Little things make a really big difference, and I'm appreciating more than ever the choices that were made in the house we bought last summer. Paula did an excellent job.

All in all, it went very well. The house is new, and the spaces are wide (big doors, etc.) so it was pretty easy for Linda to get around. There were a few steps, but they weren't much problem. I learned how helpful handrails are. Linda said that 5 steps with a hand rail are better than 2 steps with no rail. And 10 steps with a handrail on each side are no harder than 5 with a single rail.

I brought coffee, so we made Milky Ways. I also brought some of Ellie's favorite books. The only thing I didn't bring that I wished later I had was the remote control for the lights. It would have been really convenient once or twice to be able to turn on a light from bed since the surroundings were different.

We had a good visit, and we're glad to be home.