Jump to main column content

Friday, June 17, 2005

Ticking off my list


I'm ticking off items from my list. Today I built an A-frame for Linda's porch swing. She seems pleased with it, although to my taste it looks a little heavy. I could have just put a couple of poles in the ground and connected them with a pipe, but I thought it might be nice to move it after the shade changes in the yard (i.e. some of the trees grow up).

Linda was really tired today. We went to Columbia yesterday. We had several goals for the trip. The first was to buy some bars to install in the bathroom at my parents house (we're going for a visit next week). I wanted something that didn't scream industrial, so we went to Home Depot where they were picked over but the variety was decent. I figure what we don't use can be returned when the store here in town opens.

We also stopped at the bookstore so Linda could buy some romances. I looked at fantasy novels and computer books, but I'm pretty picky (especially about computer books) so I didn't buy any.

Finally we went to the stroke support meeting at Rusk. There was a talk about neuro-dynamic therapy that I wanted to hear. It wasn't as detailed as I would like and smacked slightly of advertising for Rusk although I believe that was unintentional for the most part. As an academic, I was probably doomed to want more detail. But I got the basic idea, and much of it was how Linda's therapy at Rusk progressed. At this point, you might say that the lesson for Linda is to try to do things with the most natural movements possible; to be as normal as she is capable of and not to cheat when things are difficult.