Jump to main column content

Monday, February 14, 2005

Heart day


I'm not much of a believer in Valentine's day, but I didn't let the day go by entirely unnoted. When I gave my calculus class a test this morning, I printed heart-shaped watermarks on it. I did the same for the quiz in my other calculus class this afternoon. Once you learn a skill, you should make it go as far as possible. I'd give a test with shamrocks on St. Patrick's day, but it appears to fall during break.

Valentine's day is one of those dishonest sells anyway. If "she" never noticed you before today, why should you think that if you get her the perfect valentine that she will suddenly take note and think you're wonderful? It's kind of like believing that a Trapper-Keeper notebook will actually make you more organized, when really you'll just be the same disorganized person with a nice folder.