Jump to main column content

Friday, February 04, 2005

Batch of updates


I finally ordered Linda's parallel bars. I know several people suggested that we could make a set cheaper than we could buy one, or that with research we could find a set used. In the end I just ordered a new set anyway. That was already plenty of work, and life is busier than it used to be. The biggest trick was getting them shipped somewhere reasonably near, which I suppose would have been an issue with used bars as well. The box is too large for FedEx, UPS, or the mail, so I had to get it sent by freight. That effectively means I have to have it delivered to a truck dock or the shipping costs amount to 60% of the cost of the bars themselves. It took a bit of calling around, but at least I don't have to drive to Quincy, Il to pick them up.

I finally heard back from the underwriters of the insurance company. Actually I heard from Benefits who heard from them (and nothing in writing so far). They have agreed to approve Linda's physical therapy visits above the 24 visit maximum as long as we provide evidence of medical necessity. It might mean some of the same fights as with the previous insurance company, but that would be true with anyone. No insurance company is going to provide services unless you show necessity; it just doesn't make financial sense.

Linda has "the cold." Her speech therapist warned her that it could develop into pneumonia. That's what speech therapists do. We love them for it.