Jump to main column content

Friday, October 06, 2006

TECHNOLOGY

The rant of the day (isn't there always a rant of the day?) has to go to technology. And by 'technology,' I don't mean your TV, your push-a-button-to-activate-it oven, or your stereo... I mean your computer. Specifically, email programs. Here's the story.... I recently changed email programs because whenever I was writing a loooong reply to a letter, and meant to make a correction, I inevitably hit the wrong sequence of keys, and ended up erasing the entire letter. This happened so often (I know, it was really all my fault, and I knew that, but... Should an entire letter be deleted just because my brain writes faster than my fingers can type?) that I decided to see if other email programs were set up in a similar fashion (where one wrong keystroke can erase the entire message). While using a new program that I had decided to try, and sending a reply to a friend in high school who had contacted me about our class reunion, I did something very similar (my brain went faster than my hands) and, not once, but TWICE, deleted everything that I had typed thus far. Now, I enjoy the benefits of email as much as the next person, but this habit of mine to hit wrong keys in the wrong sequences is most irritating. However, I no longer have to wonder why I'm still stuck on the actual feel of a good book in my hands instead of having an ebook on my palm pilot... At least the book won't suddenly disappear without notice!