Jump to main column content

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Not my fault it's been so long between posts... My blog company had upgraded, and as is per usual with upgrades, instead of upgrading much of anything really important, they broke the blog program! It's finally fixed now. (But you just gotta love computers.. Not!)

It's a Small World After All

Okay... I'm lying in bed last night at 3:00 a.m., wondering why the heck I'm wide awake... (besides the sawhorse namedDon sleeping next to me)... and I wonder if it's because the blood thinner I've been taking for the past two years is giving me insomnia or what... Didn't know that particular feature about Coumadin... It causes insomnia, loss of sleep, staring at the ceiling at 3:00 in the morning... Well, at least it wasn't 1:00 in the morning... (Been there, done that.)

This all made me think about how we finally learned that a blood thinner causes insomnia. Because, no one had ever told us that before. Not the doctors, not the nurses, not the therapists... I figured that this side effect to Coumadin was relatively unknown... Until, one day a while ago, my first oupatient Speech Therapist named Andrea told us about it. She knew because her previous patients had told her they took Coumadin and had insomnia, and she was the first person I ever heard who put two and two together and came up with a connection between the two. The funny thing about Andrea is that Don knew who the heck she was from waaaaayyyy before the stroke... It turns out that she was in the NEMO Singers with him in college... she sang soprano... and she also gave our daughter her first hearing test while we were in the hospital... way back then. How weird is that? We totally lose contact with her, then she turns out to be the Speech Therapist I'm assigned to. Don knew who she was right away, and she at least looked familiar to me... you know how Truman (Northeast) is such a small campus... everybody knows everybody else... at least, by sight. So, the world just keeps getting smaller and smaller all the time, and they all live in Kirksville, I swear...

By the way, she was a really good therapist, too...