Jump to main column content

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Let them eat cake


Last week was Ellie's birthday, so I took her to the store to pick out a cake. Some people would bake a cake for their kids, but I've always been partial to store-bought cake, and especially store-bought icing.

I showed her the book with all of the fancy cake designs you can get. I figured she would pick a Dora cake. But my daughter walked down the display case, pointed at the double fudge chocolate cake, and said I want that one. So double fudge chocolate it was. We also bought a red velvet cake to make sure we'd have enough.

Would you believe that Ellie didn't eat a single piece of either cake? She was more interested in playing with her friends and her new gifts. She blew out the candles, and we gave cake to all of the other kids an parents, but she wasn't interested. In fact there was cake the next day, and I asked her again and she said no again.

Oh, well. More for me!