Jump to main column content

Friday, September 15, 2006

Words

The word today is 'erudite.' It means to be characterized by extensive reading or knowledge. Every time I hear that word (not that I hear it very often), I think of the movie The American President, when Michael J. Fox's character says "He just got everyone wondering how to spell 'erudite.'" (I may have the quote slightly wrong... it's been a long time since I've seen that movie.) When I hear him say that, it's inevitable... I think 'Gosh, how do you spell 'erudite?'' So, to make my third grade teacher totally proud of me, I looked it up in the dictionary... Only, I didn't know how to spell it. So, I started reading the dictionary... And the next thing I knew, it was two hours later and I was still reading the dictionary like it was a fiction story, and I knew that I was a person in BBBIIIGGG trouble... I was one of those geeks who read the dictionary. Yeek!

Coumadin strikes again... I've been awake sinc 2:00 a.m. I'm starting to get a little punchy now... Does it show?

And 'insouciant' means to act nonchalant. I had to look that one up, too, when I first saw it in high school. However, that word is so strange that you will probably never forget its definition... I know that I never did.