Jump to main column content

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Oktoberfest

Tonight we went downtown to the Oktoberfest celebration that the town hosts every year (since last year). It was hard... it was so hard that it wasn't really worth the effort to go. Sidewalks were crowded, and had so much stuff on them that it was impossible for a wheelchair to use them when we had to. We avoided the sidewalks when we could. Plus, there weren't always slopes down from the sidewalks to the streets when we needed one, so then we would have to use different routes all the time... It was honestly easier to use the streets.

Plus, there are always bands playing loud music as entertainment at things like this... Music is fine, and the entertainment was fine, but there was absolutely no possible way for me to join in the conversation, as our friends we were talking to at the time couldn't hear a thing I was saying. This is, of course, no one's fault, but not being able to speak usually means that I become bored. to. death.

Every time I decide to attend one of these types of outside celebrations, I'm reminded of why I don't often bother to leave the house, of why I don't attend these types of celebrations. Next time, I think I'll just cause everyone a lot less trouble all around and stay home where I can write or read if I want. At least, I'll be able to get to where I'm going with as little fuss as possible... That way Don has fun talking to people, Ellie has fun climbing on things, and I have fun being where people can hear what I have to say. It's a better situation all around.