Jump to main column content

Friday, March 18, 2005

Interesting reading


When I can steal moments, I've been reading The Count of Monte Cristo. Linda gave me the book for Christmas this year although I have read it before. I have been particularly interested in returning to the character of Noirtier, who is described:

Well, sir, the rupture of a blood-vessel on the lobe of the brain has destroyed all this, not in a day, not in an hour, but in a second.

and

...a paralyzed and speechless old man, whose withered hand can no longer press mine, and who can speak to me with the eye alone, although there still lingers in his heart the warmest tenderness for his poor grandchild.

I was reading it while Linda did therapy yesterday, and one of the therapists asked me about it. I told her about the character and mentioned, I knew someone like that once.