Jump to main column content

Friday, March 04, 2005

Dinner out


I dragged Linda to the Hospice benefit dinner tonight. A friend had extra tickets and invited us. Otherwise I don't think I could have coaxed Linda out of the house.

It was pretty fun. We came early, so we could park close and walk slow. Inside the door, a woman greeted us, who introduced herself as Ann B.

I said, Right. You're Dale's wife.

To that she replied, Yes, we spoke on the phone once.

I smiled, I believe you, although I have to admit that I have no memory of it.

She just laughed and said, Well, it was a dark time.

Linda and I grabbed seats as far from the band as possible, although really the whole thing was too loud for her. I commented that it was great speech therapy, but those kind of comments got stale about 6 months ago. She did her best and we talked with a few people.

We ran into a few old students. One student had taken both of us, and I pointed her out. She had a smashing dress on. When I indicated to Linda where she was standing, Linda couldn't find her. I said, She's the one done up so stunning you won't even recognize her. Of course her back was to us, and when she turned around there was no mistaking her. It's fun to see them grow up.

Mostly Linda was really a good sport about the whole night. That many people and that much noise in a small space are really overwhelming for her. When we left, she just laughed and said, That was awful. Then she kept laughing. That's lability for you. At least she didn't cry.

She's sitting quietly reading now, apparently recovered.