Jump to main column content

Friday, October 15, 2004

Happy and Sad


I'm cheerier than yesterday. I finished the depressing chapter in my book even, and it didn't get me down. I decided that I would look into inviting the author to Truman to speak. The computer clubs sponsored a speaker last year and it was very successful.

In the book, Lessig points out that the public domain is disappearing. But I'm a member of the free software culture, and we are, in effect, building a new public domain inside the confines of copyright law. That's a bright thought. Don't tell Congress, they'll probably label us anti-business terrorist anarchists.

You can help build what's left of the public domain if you like at one of my favorite sites, Distributed Proofreaders. All you need to be able to do is read and type. This is a totally great project.

Linda is a bit sad. She tried to walk with one cane at the coffee shop today and fell down (I caught her). She cried right there in the shop for quite a while, but finally Priya came by and distracted her. Linda seems to be feeling better this afternoon and we plan to go out for dinner tonight.