Jump to main column content

Monday, October 11, 2004

Bits and bobs


The Linux installfest went well on Saturday. It looked at first like it might be a dud, but people just came late. We had several successful installs and a few real glitches. The worst was probably when I lost all of the data on one kid's hard drive. That's why we always start with the question, "Is any of the data on here precious to you?" We've never actually lost anyone's data permanently, but I was pretty close this time.

I told him that I would fix it personally if he brought his laptop to my office this morning. He did, and a combination of research and black magic got things back in order. I understand hard drive structure in a way I never did before.

Linda has been doing pretty well. She fell yesterday but seems to be fine except for a couple of new bruises. She said she was just too tired. Doing more than she should. Unfortunately she doesn't usually realize that she is doing too much until she has already done too much.

Ellie goes back and forth between being a snot with Linda and being reasonably nice. This evening she has been OK, but this morning she yelled in her best teenager voice, "Leave me alone!" That made Linda cry.

Linda will be going down to twice a week in physical therapy at the rehab center. Her speech therapist also suggested dropping one session a week, so Linda can have a bit more of a break. I think the OT felt like he would like to continue at the same pace, but he'll be dropping back so we don't come in just for the single therapy. Linda is pleased. The PT wouldn't suggest scaling back unless she was pleased with how Linda is progressing.

It's a good thing my head is attached. This morning I walked past the newspaper bin and said (out loud), "Is today Thursday?" Then I remembered, I had just come from class that I don't teach on Thursday. "It must be Wednesday." A girl was getting the paper, so I looked at her and said, "What day is today?" She had heard my previous two sentences, so you can imagine the look she gave me before she replied, "Today is Monday."

I just thanked her and said, "Boy is my life inside out." She must think I'm completely off my rocker (where the heck does that idiom come from?).