Jump to main column content

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The circle of life


You can't stay down forever. Linda seems to have cheered up quite a bit. Last night we watched The Lion King. It's funny how many of the jokes are for grown-ups. Ellie was just sitting there absorbed, while Linda and I were laughing like crazy.

Linda even tried singing several of the songs. She's terrible of course, but I thought it was great that she felt comfortable enough to try.

She told me today that her range is about an octave now. It's a really low octave (like a tenor instead of an alto) to be sure, but she used to only have a few steps. She works on it a bit each day with an electric keyboard. She also does a lot of pitch work with the computers at Truman. That is really helpful, because she can see on the screen exactly what is going on. There's no trying to cheat by substituting loudness for highness.

I really enjoy watching her do speech therapy at Truman by the way. I usually bring work to do behind the glass, but I would say about half of the time I just find myself watching them work. It's kind of weird. Speech therapy is about as tedious as you can imagine. It was the one therapy I decided I could never specialize in right away. So I don't know what is so appealing.