Jump to main column content

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

A little talk


I had a little talk with Ellie yesterday. I didn't plan it, but rather took advantage of the moment. She was sort of excluding Linda, so I asked her some questions about Linda being sick. It's hard to tell what answers are really true from Ellie, because she often tells you what she thinks you want to hear.

I don't know what kids her age think about being sick. She sort of expressed being afraid of Linda, and I asked her if she was afraid that doing things with Linda might make Ellie sick or something. I don't know if her answer was a yes or a no.

So I just told her that she didn't have to be afraid of Mom, that what made Mom sick wasn't something that you can catch or that we should worry about happening again. I explained that Linda did not choose to be sick. It wasn't something that was Linda's fault. And her medicine is helping her to get better.

I don't know if it made much difference, but Ellie's attitude seems to be softening since we talked.