Jump to main column content

Thursday, September 16, 2004

On the road again


We attended the Mid Missouri Stroke Survivors' meeting today in Columbia. On the drive, we listened to a Harry Potter book on tape (number five). It's tradition now, and it keeps me awake.

As usual, we got to see all of the therapists and many of the nurses. They were glad to see Linda, as they always are. Linda was especially pleased that Fred complimented her improved posture, since her current therapist is very diligent about asking her to work on that.

The subject of the meeting was the auto-ambulator, which is this large computerized kind of exo-robot that moves your legs. Linda used it once when she was a patient, but she thought it was kind of overrated. She thought that a better use of time was to walk more.

We talked about it today, and decided that a machine like the auto-ambulator would be of much more benefit at her current stage of recovery. She had really just used it a bit too soon. She needed more strength and crude balance development then. Now, when she is working on more subtle fluid movements, there is more point to it. It could take her fluidly through the movements she wants to develop and help her learn the "feel" of them again.

I don't know if we'll go anywhere with the idea of trying it again. Linda would be willing to give it a go as an outpatient if her therapist and physician thought it was a good idea. It would mean traveling to Columbia which is kind of a burden.

That book's not done


Apparently I misunderstood Linda about the completed state of her book. She informed me today that it still has 7 chapters left. Then at dinner I believe she told me that she thought of another chapter topic, so there may actually be 8 left. I'm not sure why I thought it was finished. It just goes to show that I don't always understand her despite all of the practice I have listening to her speech.

Inadvertent, my mutt


Our attorney got a letter from the insurance company's attorney admitting that Linda's speech therapy had been incorrectly terminated due to an "inadvertent miscommunication" with the caseworker. When I read this aloud to Linda, she sarcastically said, "Yeah, my mutt." If you don't understand why she would say such a thing, let me refer you to Best speech ever for a quick tutorial on Linda-speak.

Empty nest


Ellie went to visit her grandparents today. It's so relaxing not having to keep a 3-year-old entertained all of the time.