Jump to main column content

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Hard but good day


Linda did a lot of pitch work in speech therapy today. They did all kinds of exercises, where she attempted to vary her voice up and down while she and the therapist viewed the result on computer. After it was over, I asked her how it was. She said, "Grueling." But she enjoyed it.

Tonight she made dinner, and not just macaroni and cheese. She made chicken and noodles, with mashed potatoes. We've learned before about chicken, so I skinned it before I went to work today. I also did the potato mashing when I got home. She did all of the rest, however, so it counts as a pretty big success.

It is definitely the closest Linda has come to preparing all of a non-trivial meal. I think she was very pleased, although her knees hurt from the long period standing.

Now for the real work


Linda told me tonight that she may have finished the draft of the book she is writing about her experience. I have to say, I have really enjoyed the recent chapters she has handed me.

I suspect that the real work starts now. Some of the first chapters she gave me seemed a bit rough, so I expect when she assembles it all and starts reading, she'll do a lot of rewriting. There's nothing like putting a project all together to make you realize how imperfectly things fit.