Jump to main column content

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Playing pig


Linda asked me tonight how to make pig snorting sounds. She grew up on a pig farm, so I said, "You never made pig sounds?" Maybe proper young girls don't do that. Well, I tried to explain it, not an easy task (but probably easier than it would have been before I sat through countless speech therapy sessions). I have encouraged her to do that sound because you have to work your soft palate to do it.

You should have seen her eyes light up when she did it somehow. I love that look. It's so childlike and innocent. She's lying in bed right now trying to be able to do pig noises consistently. She's pretty dedicated, so I think she'll get it.

She told me that she had another first tonight. Tonight was the first time she was able to take her shirt off by crossing her arms and lifting it over her head. I think it was a bit of a struggle, but you have to start somewhere.