Jump to main column content

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Home alone


Linda told me that she enjoyed having her morning to herself. I asked her if she cried, and she told me that she did a little but that she was able to stop on her own. That's good.

Thinking of her


When I'm walking around campus, I have these thoughts of terrible things happening to Linda. I wonder, what if she fell and hit her head? What if she cut herself or got a nosebleed and is gushing blood that won't stop? What if she spilled boiling water on herself making macaroni and cheese? What if she broke her arm and can't get up?

It's not that I didn't worry about irrational things sometimes before the stroke too. Linda has a profound cardiac history. She also liked to go for walks (yes, completely unrelated, but stay with me). Sometimes she would be out for a walk when I arrived home expecting her to be around. I couldn't help but check the house to make sure she wasn't dead from a heart attack somewhere. Morbid, I know. But you've never called the ambulance for her when she was having chest pain. I have.