Jump to main column content

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Crooked business


I got a bill today from the hospital for over $6000. It was originally over $9000 but had been discounted some and paid some. The letter reads, "Your insurance(s) has/have paid their portion. The balance is now your responsibility." Yeah, right. I reached my out-of-pocket limit on the day Linda had her stroke.

Does any one else think there ought to be a "truth in medical billing" law like our truth in banking laws? I get really sick of business models based on deception. From what I can tell, it's standard practice for both hospitals and insurance companies.

So far, no one has paid for Ellie's blood test of Apr 1 (including me). I guess things work slowly when two behemoth companies are trying to screw each other.

In other news, Linda's therapies went really well this morning.