Jump to main column content

Friday, August 13, 2004

Dreams of princesses


We hired a babysitter and went to the movies to see Princess Diaries 2. We enjoyed it, and Linda only had one labile moment (she moaned out loud at a particularly cute baby in a scene). We always laugh when that happens (it's so cute), but I know she doesn't really like it.

The movie was fun. I had an inkling it would be from the previews before it. Every one of the previews looked like a movie I might want to see. It always makes me so nervous to go to a movie where every preview looks bad.

We'll have to get a copy when it comes out on DVD. Ellie will love it. She loves princess movies and can watch them until you learn to hate them. Before we watch What a Girl Wants again I intend to give the Guinness Book a call.

Linda walked all the way to the theater by way of the ticket counter and the concession stand without a single fall. She lost her balance twice but caught herself both times. It's a good thing, since the last time I was holding food that I didn't want to drop. I suppose in a real emergency, I could catch her and buy more popcorn. But at theater prices, you're glad when you don't have to.

She lost her balance a couple of times on the way out. Once she caught herself with the wall, and I got her the other times. It's harder leaving than arriving, because she has two sitting hours worth of stiffness in her bones.


Linda is a bit worried that she will never really walk well. I reminded her that she has just passed the 6-month mark. You expect to make your best progress in the first six months, but you can also expect to continue improving for another year and longer. If you figure that she went from moving only her eyes to where she is today, it won't take nearly so much to get from here to walking. There's still plenty of reason to hope.

That made her feel better.