Jump to main column content

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Good cooking


We cooked at home tonight, which is to say I cooked. It's not the first time since moving, but sometimes we have just had easy stuff like popcorn. I love my kitchen. It has outlets in just the right places when you want use a blender. It has lots of counter space for making a mess (and food just doesn't come out right if you don't make a mess). It has a dishwasher.

We had chicken soup. I had been wanting to make soup lately, and people have been bringing us fresh vegetables, so I made something up:


Two (2) chicken thighs, skinned
Two (2) medium potatoes
One (1) carrot, peeled
1/4 large onion
1/2 green bell pepper
One (1) tomato, peeled
Two (2) chicken bouillon cubes
Milk and corn starch


Skin the chicken and heat with water in 2 quart sauce pan on medium-high heat. Dice the rest of the vegetables and add them along with the chicken bouillon. Boil until the chicken looks done. Remove the chicken to a cutting board, and blend the rest in a blender then return to the pan.

Slice the chicken and add to the soup. If any was not cooked through, boil the soup a bit longer to finish it. Finally, thicken with milk and corn starch.



There you go. You read my blog, so you feel like I'm part of your life. Cook that, and you can feel like you live with me. It's probably better than the real thing; I snore.

If I were on T.V., I would describe my soup as a lovely golden color, but the truth is that it was sort of an ugly tan more suitable for gravy. Maybe next time, I'll just grate the carrot in.

It tasted just good, though Linda added more salt. She almost always does, so it's not really insulting.

I think next time I may go for one billion cube and replace the other with its sodium-equivalent in soy sauce. That might be good.