Jump to main column content

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Offline for the move


Since I am about to pack up my computer, there probably won't be another post until I get things sorted out at the new house (and the phone is switched).

Linda is getting less wobbly again. It turned out that we had adjusted her left cane a bit. When we put it back to right, she became "normal." Normal for now at least. She was really frustrated for a couple of days before we figured it out.


Not much but packing going on today. I'm a bit miffed that the sermon this morning contained campaigning for Amendment 2, "to protect the sanctity of marriage." I just don't see how my marriage with Linda is tarnished if a lesbian couple down the street gets married. How does something so wholly disconnected from me (to grab a phrase from Elizabeth Bennett) harm me? Is the communion wine at the Catholic church less holy because they use grape juice at the Presbyterian and view it as a symbol and not real blood that just tastes like wine?

According to unmarried.org, in many states a man and woman can become married by deciding that they are married, telling people that they are married, and in every way acting married. That's positively sinful (if you feel that way about such things), but it doesn't cheapen my marriage.

What is it that makes some straight people so afraid of gay people? According to the gay people I have known, they generally aren't attracted to straight people. There's no sexual threat there that I can see. I bet among all of the readers of this web site, I am the only straight person who has actively been hit on by a gay person, and even in my case it was sort of my fault because I inadvertently initiated it.

Gilderoy Lockhart would say, "Celebrity is as celebrity does." Perhaps recent events have made me something of an unexpected celebrity, and I should temper my opinions. But this whole gay marriage thing feels so much more like a big well-funded group of people trying to oppress a smaller less-funded group, and that just sucks.