Jump to main column content

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Wobbling around


Linda has switched to using her canes for most of her at-home walking as well as her walking when out. Personally, I thought it was a bit too soon to be doing that (because she risks falling), but I have learned that she will do whatever she wants anyway, so I just try to help her do as well as possible. The truth is, she has done better than I expected. I take care to spot her pretty carefully when we go out, but at home she is pretty darn stable, if slow.

She is getting better at keeping her balance when distracted. Several of you may have noticed that she tends to fall over right when you say "Hi" to her. It's no coincidence. This weekend, though, I noticed that during several distractions she was fine. She did well when people talked to her, and she did well when walking through a crowd (which is particularly challenging because of all the movement around her).

I offered to count backward by sevens with her to improve her balance under duress. She wasn't interested.

On the house front


Linda is really looking forward to those wide doors.

I'm really looking forward to a dishwasher.

We're packing things away steadily each day. It's a lot less nerve-wracking to run the turtle's race than the hare's when you move.

If you are interested in fantasy, I have a couple of David Eddings series that I don't intend to keep; The Elenium (three books) and The Tamuli (first two of three books). I enjoyed both, but it just isn't that likely that I'll read them again. I also have some of the later Terry Brooks novels in the Shannara series. I have some other odds and ends. Come help pack, and you can rummage through my stuff.

Oh, and if you are interested in buying the house we currently rent, I can put you in touch with the owner.