Jump to main column content

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Pushing the boundaries


Ellie begged me outside tonight, so we walked the boundary of our new property. It was a beautiful evening for it. While I was walking, it occurred to me to be surprised that I hadn't done it before. There's something instinctive about tracing a boundary like that. Perhaps it's the same instinct a dog has, but at least I didn't pee on any of the survey stakes.

We actually walked a bit beyond the boundaries onto the land that borders us at the back. There is some beautiful rolling scenery just over the hill.

It was a bit sad for me, or maybe somber more than sad, walking back that way. Normally, Linda would have been the explorer. She would enjoy walking back on the property. She's the one inclined to brave the brambles along a railroad bed for a patch of black raspberries or to wander recklessly through an abandoned house. But a walk like Ellie and I had tonight is quite beyond her ability and endurance I think.

We'll see. I described it to Linda, and we have decided to try it together when Ellie is in day care sometime within the next day or two. It may just require going slow and resting often.


Here's something sort of creepy ironic for you to appreciate. For many years, one of Linda's favorite paintings has been Christina's World, a portrait of Christina Olson, who could not walk for the later portion of her life. A print of it still hangs above her desk.