Jump to main column content

Thursday, August 19, 2004

So clean you can eat off it


I meant to post this yesterday, but the Truman network was down, so you get it today. We got home a bit late for lunch, and I had to clean up a mess from the cats again. Linda and I had already agreed to have pancakes with fruit and whipped topping, so she decided to get started. I'm not sure exactly how things went, but pretty soon there was a bag of frozen mixed fruit melting on our kitchen tile.

Naturally, I hurried over to clean that up. Tile is nearly impervious, but grout is its Achilles' heel. In several places, the blueberries left a striking blue hue behind despite my prompt efforts.

We ate the berries anyway. We let Ellie eat off the floor all of the time.

Forces of darkness


I got a call from the insurance company's case worker on Monday. I was told that they had had a neurologist contact Linda's physiatrist, and the two together decided to end Linda's speech therapy on Friday (tomorrow) and reduce her other therapies to twice a week. I tried to object, and when I did, the case worker told me, "Look, it's what Dr. R ordered. You'll have to talk to him."

So I did. I left a message for him on Tuesday and he called me back today. He did in fact talk to a physician from the insurance company, but they had disagreed about the appropriate treatment for Linda. Consequently, I informed the case worker (via confidential voice mail) that we would like her to initiate an appeal--their treatment decision has obviously been based on inaccurate information.

Naturally, we intend to follow the orders of Linda's personal physician, i.e. we intend to go to her therapies tomorrow. We've had nothing in writing from the insurance company, and the things they have told us have been falsehoods. They've tried this before, and I intend to avoid being made the fool twice.