Jump to main column content

Monday, September 06, 2004

Free software or die


I had the funniest dream last night. I dreamed I was in some kind of mortal contest, something like Highlander,where I had to fight to the death with a bunch of other people. Only, it wasn't martial skill that made you successful. Your blows would only defeat an opponent by force of personality.

The key to succeeding was to get them to accede to some opinion of yours. Near the end, my opponent and I had both lost our swords and were dueling with canes (we each had one of Linda's red canes). Since I could think of nothing I was more resolute about, I decided to win my opponent over with the argument of free software. I knew that I would never budge.

So I am hitting my opponent with a stick and shouting examples about why free software is a superior philosophy and defending it against his rebuttals. I never finished the dream, but he was weakening by the end.