Jump to main column content

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Ellie moments


Checkers


I know a lot of people like to hear what Ellie is up to. Last night she and I played checkers. I know that 4 might be a little young for checkers. But there always seem to be problems with other games. When we play concentration, she always wants to claim the pairs of her favorite cards (no matter who made the match). She always wants the the blue cards when we play Candy Land.

Now I don't really mind playing games with Ellie. But I don't like her changing the whole structure of a game over whims. Not if she wants to play with me anyway. The truth is that sometimes she doesn't even want to play with me. She just wants me sitting there watching her play, without talking or interacting at all. As far as I'm concerned those are times she could go play against the computer.

I suggested checkers last night. There are only two colors, so she can have her favorite and there's nothing to argue about. There are only two real choices. Either you can slide a piece forward or you can jump. The most fun thing, of course, is to jump if you can (so you always do).

We played again tonight. Maybe this will become our game.

Quotes in the car


I don't want Mom to be sick. I don't want her to walk with a walker any more.

Imaginary pets


Ellie has two favorite stuffed animals right now, a little dog and cat. The dog's name is Don and the cat's name is Linda.