Jump to main column content

Sunday, September 25, 2005

A musical household


We had a visit this weekend from Linda's brother and his wife. They brought us the piano that Linda grew up with, since no on at their house plays any more. Linda will probably use it mostly for speech therapy, to work on her range. But she used to play, and she might work on that some again (it would be good for her hands). She might not, I'm not sure which she would consider the bigger nightmare, piano lessons or stroke recovery. The combination might be too much to bear.

At the moment, just playing it is too much to bear (although I've actually heard a church piano or two sound much worse). According to numerous places on the internet, we should wait a week before having it tuned. It takes that long for the piano to adjust to the temperature and humidity of its new surroundings.

I did a bit of research on the piano. It was apparently made in 1957. It is a spinet piano, which basically means really small. From the serial number, I was able to narrow down the production year to somewhere between 1956 and 1960, but the piano tuner wrote A-440 1957, apparently when he first tuned it. In case you don't know, 440 refers to 440hz which is the frequency of A on the modern musical scale.

Tim and Vic also brought a very nifty little writing desk. Linda has sort of claimed it for years, being a person small enough to fit in it, although it was really Tim's. It is now Linda's, just in time for Ellie to claim it from her. So I guess, it's really Ellie's.

Driving into the sunset



I'm working on getting Linda's car sold. I took it for one last oil change and had the fluids checked. My ad went in the newspaper on Friday. Two people have called, and one of them came out to drive it. Lately I've been remembering back to when Linda bought that car. She was so excited. It's been a good car for her, but she's ready to get rid of it rather than let it sit around undriven.

Ellie is not quite ready to get rid of it. She likes Mom's car, because it is red. Nothing I can do about that. I'm selling it anyway, but we've been driving it around a bit more lately so Ellie can enjoy it before it is gone.