Jump to main column content

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Things that get you down


Evil people live in Fairfax, VA. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. So I was less than delighted to receive a very generic-looking letter today (yes, technically not today, but I've been busy and I finally got to the mail today) with a return address in Fairfax. Yes, it was a collection agency. Yes, the same one I had a run-in with last year, and yes it all goes back to the same medical equipment people as before.

Only this time, I have a little more practice. The letter I got today wasn't one of the mean ones. It was a feeling things out letter. It said they were auditing their delinquent accounts, listed the balance of Linda's, and asked us to let them know if the balance of the account was in dispute. You'll not be surprised to know that it is.

They believe that Linda owes $375 over what is really a totally messed up account. I corrected their misconception. I told them that the account number they list matches none of the bills I have received and let them know what the correct number should be. I gave them the telephone number and extension of the billing person I have been working with so that she can help them get their facts straight. And I let them know that there is only $130 outstanding on Linda's chair, less than her still-pending insurance claims. In short her account is 1) not delinquent, 2) worth less than they think, and 3) almost certainly to be paid in full by another party.

We'll see how things go. Assume nothing when working with evil people.

More things that get you down


I was pretty hot by the time I had run my spreadsheets, written my letter, and walked it out to the mailbox. Linda turned on the air conditioner, which we had turned off for a while. It's not such a good time to open the windows since ragweed is pollenating. I can tell when I've been outside.

Unfortunately the house didn't cool down. Yesterday, when I was mowing, I clipped the control wire that tells the compressor to run. Didn't even see it there. So we've just been blowing warm air around the house. Needless to say, I was a bit annoyed with myself. Next year, I'm going to spend the money to get some kind of plant-less landscaping done around there. I was too cheap to do it this year.

Luckily the cut was clean and there was extra wire. Splicing it together was annoying but not difficult. The house is starting to cool down now. I'll still have to look at that splice again and make it good against the weather, but I'm good for today.