Jump to main column content

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

School Fever


Ellie wants to go to school. She's only 4, which means she couldn't go to school yet anyway. She knows this, so if you ask her how old she is there is a good chance she'll hold up 5 fingers now. She's been berating me about it all week, so I told her that I would check about school.

The August 1st deadline is firm at both the public school and the Catholic school. So she can't go to either, even next fall. The Lutheran school can be a little more flexible. They have a pre-school, too, which means that Ellie can try out school for half days and we can find out if it is compatible with her.

I asked Ellie if she wanted to go to half-day school and see if she liked it. She looked skeptically at me, and said, I want to go to school. Not pre-school. I'm big.

I told her that it was school for 4-year-olds. I figure if she can lie about her age, I can misrepresent the facts slightly to get her to do what she wants to do anyway. She still doesn't know if she can trust me, but she wants to try it. I'm going to see about setting things up tomorrow. Hopefully she'll be able to start on October 1.