Jump to main column content

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Kid free


Ellie went to visit her grandparents for the 1st week of classes. A week seems like a long time, and I've had a long list of things to get done. A week isn't a long time. I did finally get the lawn mowed.

I started on a pair of curtains for Ellie's room tonight. Sewing is definitely one of those things best done when Ellie is away visiting. She's pretty much as helpful as I remember being during my childhood when my mother was sewing. I'm sure she'll get her chance to help out. I also bought material for livingroom curtains. There's no way they'll all be finished for some time.

Here's a tidbit about me. I can't sew without sweating. You'd think I was on the treadmill or lifting weights or something. As soon as I lay out the fabric and start measuring, cutting, etc., I perspire. In fact, I always wear my tight glasses for sewing because otherwise they would slip down my nose.

Even though I've made a lot of curtains over the years, I'm always surprised how little sewing there is to sewing. It's mostly pressing, measuring, pinning, pressing. And then you finally get out your sewing machine and it's finished (or it is a short respite and you go back to pressing, measuring, and so on).

Linda and I are trying to make the most of our kid-free week. We are going out to eat a bit, and we're going to take in a movie tomorrow. The rehab center was good enough to schedule an extra set of therapy for her, but I think that was just coincidence.