Jump to main column content

Monday, September 05, 2005

The long drive


We made the drive to Iowa to meet Linda's parents and bring Ellie home. She was really glad to see us. We met in Fairfield at a park with the most wonderful playscape. Everything on it was about climbing, which is perfect for Ellie. It was just easy enough that Ellie could do each thing, but hard enough that she could play there for a long time without getting bored.

We played until Ellie was red in the face, then made the trip home. Ellie was good the whole way, and slept for about half the trip. Linda slept for a good bit of the trip too.

I pondered how much gas I was using. I can't believe that gas is $3 a gallon. I can't believe how much it costs to fill my car (and it has a little tank). I was adding up what it must cost my friends with SUVs to fill, and that sum must be truly depressing. I wonder if it isn't time to reconsider driving slow. According to the government, cars' fuel economy top out around 55-60mph. Maybe it's time we declare the decade of fast driving over realize that foreign affairs demand a change.

I suppose I'm deluding myself. Only president Bush would have the authority to convince people that driving slower is a moral necessity, a duty to our country. And people have to be inspired to comply, or a new limit means nothing. Clinton couldn't have done it (although at the time it wasn't so necessary as now) since he couldn't really speak from the moral high ground. Bush senior couldn't have done it either because he didn't inspire the way Bush junior does. This is the first time in a long time that the charisma and the necessity were both present, yet I cannot fathom an oilman asking for people to burden themselves with the inconvenience of slowing down.

I also pondered the feelings of sorrow we have for the people who couldn't get our of New Orleans even though they knew a hurricane was coming. It seems a stark contrast from the way we felt about the innocents who couldn't get out of Fallujah when they new the US was coming. I remember people telling me, They knew we were coming. They shouldn't have been there. It's hard to empty a large city even when overwhelming force looms on the horizon. There are just too many people who are poor or sick or have no place to go.

Mostly I'm glad I don't get to see much TV. I think I'm just as glad not knowing how things are.

About hair


On a lighter note, I've been putting Linda's hair up lately. It's pretty hard for her to do it for herself, but it is getting enough length to do a short pony tail. Today she and Ellie both have pig tails and they are very cute. I'm getting a bit better at this hair thing, although I have to admit sometimes I feel completely clumsy trying to get it going where I want.

I've not yet mastered doing it without yanking and tugging and pulling. That will come with practiece I'm sure.