Jump to main column content

Sunday, April 24, 2005

How to know about the shampoo


Here's how you figure out that you are allergic to your shampoo. We use Pantene, and we have for many years. But recently, we ran out. It's because I do the shopping, and it didn't get on the grocery list. I was too lazy to go out and get more, so I bought whatever brand was at the gas station when I filled with gas.

Now for years I have noticed that I sneeze in the shower (this goes back to pre-college). I always assumed it was just allergies to the molds and mildews you can't every really get rid of no matter how you clean. But our bottle of generic shampoo just ran out, and when we went back to Pantene the sneezing came on again strong. I hadn't noticed, but it was noticeably less with the other.

Add another discovery. On the days when I know I am going to work out and be showering again in a few hours, I often don't shampoo my hair (I just rinse it so it will lay down). I don't sneeze on those days.

Subconsciously I have known for a long time. I very deliberately save the shampoo for very last, and I remember back to a time when I did it first.

Today I was stunned when I tried the fragrance-free color-free shampoo. It was absolutely amazing to be not sneezing. That's how I discovered that I was allergic to my shampoo.