Jump to main column content

Monday, April 04, 2005

Bad day good day


Most of today was a bad day. It started out that way, as bad days usually do. My alarm clock did not go off this morning despite having been set, so I overslept an hour. I apparently set the slide switch far enough to light up the "alarm set" led, but not far enough to actually set it. Why these two parts of the clock don't run on the same circuit is a mystery to me.

So I started an hour late, which meant I was in something of a hurry. I dressed Ellie and got my things together, and just as I am ready to go out the door, I find that Ellie has taken off all of her clothes because she didn't want to wear them. Today was only about the 1000th time this has happened, so you can be sure that I let her know in forceful terms (with plenty of percussive consonants) that I was frustrated.

She got me so worked up that I did my errands out of order. I had to take the new cat Mira to the vet to be fixed, but I planned to stop at campus first to give some papers to someone before their morning class. But I drove home, so the cat came first. At least I was able to catch her. She seems to be a smart cat, having enough sense to stay out of arms reach of me. I found her in a hiding place and caught her before she realized I could get her.

They asked me if I wanted her spayed and declawed, and I said, No, my wife doesn't want her declawed. Then I walked outside and learned why that was the wrong answer. She has apparently tried to claw her way into the car, because there is a cloud of vertical scratches at cat height on the driver side door where she failed.

That's the thing I don't get. You get cats, and you bring them in the house, and they tear the shit out of anything you like or value. What's the fun in that?

The day improved eventually. We watched some more Firefly tonight and that was really fun; we laughed a lot. Ellie actually ate some dinner, which is a small miracle. She went to bed reasonably well and she might even go to sleep.

Before that happened though, I got solicited for feedback from a software vendor I've had trouble with lately. They asked me how content I was with the resolution of my technical problem, and I marked zero because the software doesn't work at all at the moment. I told them that their product was a cancer and I was actively encouraging my colleagues to switch to a well-known free software alternative.

I suppose I have my grossly intolerant moments.