Jump to main column content

Monday, January 17, 2005

Not much news


We're still counting down to the first day of class. I'm putting together my calendars of the semester. I never feel ready until they are mapped out even if I change things some later.

Linda's physical therapist has started making plans to adjust for a visit maximum of 24 visits. For one thing, her 45 minutes sessions are going to be extended to a full grueling hour. We'll eventually have to schedule them less frequently.

It looks like 24 visits may really be it. I won't be sure until I've got "the book." I called benefits to have them run it down a week or so ago, but they haven't called back. That seems to be my usual experience lately.

Thank goodness we didn't have this insurance last year. I suppose we would have negotiated something with them. At $700/day, they would want to get you out of the inpatient rehab hospital.

Linda has been thinking about a set of parallel bars for use at home. If she could be secure, she would practice more as part of a daily routine. She already does for her other therapies and it makes a difference. She does scales on the keyboard although she's been a bit lazy about it during the break. She has hand weights that she leaves next to her favorite chairs to work her arms.

She would like to be able to do some of her PT activities at home, maybe some balance work or squatting. But of course you have to worry about falling down. So I looked into parallel bars. You can get a small set for a bit less than $500. We'll have to talk to her PT and see what she thinks.