Jump to main column content

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Too hot in the kitchen


I did something tonight that I've always wanted to do. I bought one of those live lobsters at the grocery store and had them steam it for me. I gave Ellie the privilege of marking the poor sap that was destined for the cooker, although I don't think she realized the one we ate was the one she picked out. We had lobster, green beans, baked potatos, and crescent rolls.

I also cooked last night. We had Pad Thai, from a recipe I found at lorenkohl.net. Last night was actually the third time I have cooked from that recipe, but it was the best yet. It was exactly like being in a restaurant. I've changed little things each time to get it the way Linda and I want it, and I am almost ready to rewrite the recipe permanently for my recipe box.

Linda and I actually prefer our noodles prepared differently. I like mine spicier than she likes hers. So when I say it was perfect last night, it was actually perfect for me. What I really need to do is figure out the recipe at her level and then add a little bit more when I fix my plate. I'm confident that I'll have it soon.

Ellie, of course, eats peanut butter and jelly on these nights.