Jump to main column content

Monday, January 03, 2005

Good frustrating new year news


I have been afraid to open the mail lately. I kept expecting that the insurance would deny our appeal on Linda's medical equipment. I didn't think they should, but I thought they would anyway. Well, today I got the notice that it was paid.

It was paid at 100%. That means that the 20% co-pay that I sent to the collection agency makes my account over-paid. Now they owe me money. They've been so mean so far, somehow I think the next conversation is not going to be so fun. It's too soon to call them. The payment hasn't even posted to Linda's account with the medical equipment company.

I'll call the equipment people again in a few days or a week. I can't really expect to make any progress until that payment arrives. Then I suppose it will be time to call the collectors.

I really, really tried to pay only amounts that I was certain that I owed. But I'm over about $65 on this one. My guess is that I'll get about $30 of it back, and they'll want to keep the other $35 because I returned that check they cashed when they weren't authorized.

On the bright side, the evil collector people are probably going to lose money on my account overall, just because we've gone around and around on the telephone so many times (more to come) and the account was ultimately worth so little.