Jump to main column content

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Seeing better every day


We went to the eye doctor today to get a new prism fitted for Linda's glasses. She now has a 4 diopter prism, down from a previous of 5 (and 6 before that). Just to remind you, that means that the image from one of Linda's eyes is shifted up (or down--I guess it depends on which eye you think is correct) by a slight bit; enough to make an object one meter away look off by 4 cm. I've looked through her prisms, and it is a disconcerting feeling.

They didn't charge us for the fitting, only the prism. That was nice, although in the end it turned out to be appropriate too. The clinician put Linda's prism on upside down which made her double vision worse. I realized it in the car and turned it around. We trimmed the prism a bit at home so it would fit right in the correct orientation. So really, we did our own fitting anyway.

Now she's seeing great and looking forward to the next, next, next prism, and eventually... HER CONTACT LENSES, YEAH! That will many months yet, but it looks like her vision will continue to improve. It just takes a long time. As I was thinking about it in the car, I quoted to her from a movie, "Small moves, Ellie, small moves." Perhaps you wondered how my daughter got her name?

Bangs


Linda felt ugly, so we stopped at the hairdresser to get some bangs. She feels less ugly now, which is not exactly the same thing as pretty. She is growing her hair out after all. I couldn't believe it only cost $3. I didn't think you could open the door without spending $12.