Jump to main column content

Monday, October 25, 2004

Got flu?


I managed to run down a flu shot for Linda today. It looked at first like only the nasal mist might be available, so I called her doctor from Rusk (knowing he would be doing rounds and I could probably catch him). He felt that she could do the mist, which uses a live virus, if there were no shots available but that he would prefer the shot to the mist. He emphasized that she should be vaccinated and said to get the mist if necessary.

But it turned out not to be necessary. It appears that some other patients have been opting for the nasal mist, and that freed up some of the shots. There are some advantages to the mist which will be attractive to reasonably healthy people. No shot for one, and supposedly a stronger and longer-lasting immunity.

Friends and babies


Ellie was in the homecoming parade with her day care. Linda and I went to watch, which turned out to be therapy. We parked at Violette because Linda thought she could walk from there to Centennial. Too far. We made it to the corner stop sign. But that was close enough to see the parade and wave at Ellie.

After the parade, I did a little singing with Cantoria and met some friends I hadn't seen since college. That was fun. I miss singing that kind of music.

Some former students were also back for homecoming, although we didn't see them until later at the football game. It was nice to catch up with them. We were going to meet them for lunch, but Linda wanted to watch the marching band (and didn't want to be late for pre-game), so I called our friends and had them go to the game instead.

We stayed until after the half-time band performance. Ellie was eager to go home, and Linda was tired from the parade, so we left. Our friends had to go about then anyway. From what I hear, the end of the game was heartbreaking anyway.

Sunday, we drove to Des Moines to see my sister's new baby, Jack. He's tiny and round and cute. We got to hold him, and Ellie played with her cousin Gwyn. That makes the longest trip I have taken with Linda since the stroke, and she seemed sort of pleased to get so far from home. It went very well.