Jump to main column content

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Better alive


This morning as I was about to pull out with the car, Ellie noted that Linda was not buckled in yet. Sometimes she has trouble with the buckle, and it is worse now that our clothes are getting bulkier. As Ellie says, "We don't want her to go bumpy."

"Bumpy" is how Ellie refers to accidents. It has been the word she uses ever since she and her grandmother drove off the road this summer.

It was kind of charming. This little girl who is prone to saying, "Daddy is my friend. Mommy is not my friend, only Daddy. I don't like Mommy," was this morning saying, "I don't want Mommy to die. That would make me mad. I would be mad if Mommy died." I asked her if that meant that she likes her Mommy now.

Apparently she doesn't like her Mommy and would be mad if Mommy died. Both. How complicated it must be to be a 3-year-old.