Jump to main column content

Monday, March 01, 2004

More Monday stuff

I forgot to mention that Linda said "ma" today. That is she made the right mouth movement, beginning with lips together and ending open, while vocalizing. She did it again this evening very convincingly.

For her afternoon physical therapy, Linda worked on trunk control some more. Her task is to transition between various sitting positions. She starts leaning forward, then slowly straightens up to the balance point and then back to forward. It's hard, but she is improving very quickly.

We spelled a good bit today, although now that we have been so successful that Linda is spelling more elaborate messages and they sometimes don't get across. Not every idea is easy to express in one sentence, but we're still doing pretty well. It isn't like it was at least; now I generally understand the subject of the sentence even when I don't understand the context or importance of it.

For those interested in our new spelling board, as I said, it's an 18in by 24in plexiglass board covered with 2in black letters. It has a blank space in the middle so we can see each other through the board. She looks at a letter and I read it out. If I'm wrong she just shakes her head. Otherwise she moves on to the next letter. I made a pdf of the design for you: plexi.pdf