Jump to main column content

Sunday, February 29, 2004

Saturday update

She is still gradually and continually improving. She was able to open her mouth enough that I could brush her tongue and the inside of her teeth with a special toothbrush, and she had enough control that she didn't reflexively bite down and trap the brush. It doesn't sound like much, but being able to clean her teeth is really important.

Therapy is much lighter on the weekend, to give patients something of a break. Linda had 1/2 hour of speech therapy at 11:30 and 1/2 hour of physical therapy in the afternoon. Most of the rest of the day was visiting or resting. She had a lot of visitors which tired her some, but not too much I think.

Because of her success on Friday with the plexiglass letter board, I went to the store and got supplies to make a more permanent one with dark letters. It's pretty large, 24in by 18in, and has 2in black letters afixed to it. I considered going smaller, but Linda seems to prefer the large letters and 18x24 is a stock glass size at Lowe's so I didn't need help getting it cut. Sometime when I'm not trying to catch up on sleep I'll post a mockup in PDF so you can see what it looks like.

The most important point is that it worked quite well. We were able to spell quickly and accurately, something that has been difficult as Linda has improved. As she uses her eyes for more normal things, like looking around, it has been harder to read yes and no. Yesterday she spelled I WANT ICE CREAM. I asked her if she wanted to spell anything else so she spelled PEPSI. I asked her if she thinks of anything but food which made her laugh.