Jump to main column content

Friday, February 27, 2004

Dinner alone.

It's a bit strange eating dinner by myself, although not really that difficult. I sometimes used to go for lunches by myself, but I have rarely eaten in the evening alone.

This evening I was pondering a deep (bottomless actually) glass of Mountain Dew when I realized that my 24 hour headache was probably a migraine. I know some will have morbid thoughts that this all started with what we thought was a migraine, but I didn't actually go down that road.

I was thinking, rather, that a nice cure for a migraine is a bit of pizza and lots of Mountain Dew. People talk with despair about the headaches associated with caffeine withdrawal, so I started thinking back to see if I have been eating too much fruit and not enough coffee. Maybe, but thanks for that last fruit basket anyway.

I can't go many minutes without thinking about Linda, and it occurred to me that she hasn't had any caffeine for three weeks today. She wasn't a heavy coffee drinker, but probably regular enough to explain why she's been asking for Tylenol lately. I wonder what life must be like to have perfectly uniform, good-for-you meals delivered straight to your stomach. Aside from the "not eating" thing, people just aren't uniform like that.

I know how cranky I would be if I ate perfectly well all of the time. Part of life is not eating well sometimes.