Jump to main column content

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Tuesday update

Since I am not actually in Columbia, I can't give a detailed update. I got up a bit early and went over to see Linda. We tried the spelling card, but we didn't manage to spell anything I can understand. I don't really know why we had so much trouble, but I suspect that at least part of it is because Linda is more tired now that rehab has started, and spelling is really pretty hard for her.

According to the doc' this morning, Linda expressed that she had too much visiting yesterday (Monday). Her visitors were me, Linda's father and mother, and Ellie; so a lot fewer than she had at the hospital. I don't want to discourage people from visiting, I just wanted to let you know to try to watch how tired she seems when you do visit. I know it isn't easy, because she has few facilities for expressing things. I know it's something of a pain, but I do actually think that coordinating so there aren't too many visitors at once is a good idea. She only had 2 visitors tonight, and I'm guessing that was better. I'm still learning how all of this goes, but around 6pm seems like a pretty good time to drop in since her therapies happen during the day. A short day visit might be fine too, but many times she'll want to be resting for the next therapy session I think so you'll probably want to just pop in and out.

Now the part you'll really be wanting to know. The nurse said that Fred (the physical therapist and a generally cool guy) told her that Linda could pretty much move her left leg on command and that he was very pleased about that. Since I wasn't around, I couldn't say what the movement was, but yesterday I know he was having her work on bending her knee (tightening the hamstring).