Jump to main column content

Monday, February 23, 2004

Monday Update

The really very exciting thing that is happening right now is that there are new things to learn about Linda's progress every day!

I just called Rusk (I forgot that Don was not going to be there) and Linda's physical therapist answered the phone. He asked Linda yes and no questions about where Don was (I said, "Ask her if he is at the Brammall's" which translated into "Is he at Grandma's?" So I had to correct to "Ask her if he is at Kathryn's" and Yes, he is. (And by the way, I just want to add how impressed I was with the therapist talking to Linda-- that was very great).

I didn't call Don because he is waiting for a phone call there.

I asked the therapist what new and exciting things Linda was doing today-- he asked Linda permission to tell me and she gave it.

Today when she was sitting up on the side of the bed, he told her: "Pull your leg back."

He felt the tendons on the back of her thigh tighten up-- it wasn't against gravity, but it was there. Actually, what he said was, "The left hamstring fired on command." He had to unpack that for me a little bit. I knew "left" and "hamstring."

After he explained, I said, "Isn't she amazing????"

"Yes, yes she is."

Me: "Will you tell her that and that I'm so proud of her?"

"Do you want to tell her yourself?"

He put the phone up to her and told me to go ahead and I told her I was proud of her and to keep going!

Who says Mondays have to stink?