Jump to main column content

Monday, March 01, 2004

Monday (and This Week's Meals/Babysitting)

Don has asked me to pass along (and I will send emails to those who need them) that he is remaining in Columbia, so he will not need meals/childcare this week. His mother has taken Ellie up to Iowa.

I talked to Don twice yesterday-- and the second conversation was very sweet and funny. He and Linda had some fun yesterday, which may seem difficult, but not really for two people who are best friends and still love each other.

Linda has been spelling so rapidly that Don doesn't even write down all of ther phrases anymore. How wonderful for her to be able to communicate so easily again!

I know that Linda has a swallowing test today. She asked what would happen if she fails it: she will have to take it again in a week, and keep taking it until she passes. If she passes, I think there are some possibilities for some real food! She apparently asked for ice cream and pepsi all weekend (to no avail...)-- but Don posted that, I think.

Even though Linda didn't have a lot of therapy over the weekend, she can curl the toes in her right foot now, and bring her knees together. Don overheard the nurses saying that the hands are always the last to come back.

Don says that they (the professionals) don't say that Linda will do things, but they have not put any limitations on what they think she will be able to do.

The prognosis is just so hopeful and miraculous compared to a week ago, two weeks ago! I am not going to get into an essay right now about the tenuousness of life, perspective, living in the moment, hope, or anything else that will distract me from my responsibilities. But I could.