Jump to main column content

Friday, April 06, 2007

Flashing lights


Linda woke me up to ask me about lights flashing on the ceiling. It turns out there were 6 police cars and an ambulance parked on the road in front of our house and a roaring fire on the other side of the road. I have no idea what happened, but while we watched 3 more police cars and another ambulance arrived.

Then the firetruck arrived. There's a lesson. Clearly we never want to have a fire, because they are obviously the slow responders.

It looks like things are winding down. I just watched a couple of the police cars pull out and drive away.

Update



I walked out this morning, and the fire last night was a car that flipped over in the ditch. The driver was nowhere to be found, so apparently survived intact enough to walk away or get a ride from someone into town.

At school I mentioned it to someone I knew was a volunteer responder, and he naturally knew something about it. He said the first car on the scene was the police and the 2nd car on the scene was a fireman. He also mentioned that most fires can be controlled with 5 gallons of water or less, and that the fire was contained (and burned itself out) well before the firetruck arrived.