Jump to main column content

Monday, December 26, 2005

Merry Christmas


We traveled the day before Christmas, coming home from an overnight visit to Linda's parents. We had a nice but brief time there, although when the whole family was together I think that was a bit taxing for Linda. Ellie got to see her favorite cousins (once removed). Ellie got a tea set and Cinderella doll from her grandparents, and both have been well played-with already.

Yesterday we opened gifts at home. I half expected Ellie to be up at 5am telling me that Santa had come. But when she realized I was still asleep, she went back to her room and played quietly. I woke up anyway. She told me she was just waiting for me to get up. Can you believe that? On any ordinary day (like today) she'd just be bugging me to get up. On the one day when anyone would expect it, she let me sleep in instead.

Linda was up already. She always wakes early, although yesterday she was a bit overtired from traveling the day before.

Christmas wasn't too fancy. We opened a few movies and games. Ellie got some new clothes and some pens and markers. We had turkey (very small) and mashed potatoes for lunch, which sounds like a lot, but really wasn't much fuss. Ellie insisted that we use the little plastic cups from her tea set for the water. So we had china plates but sipped our water from pink plastic oversize thimbles.

We watched movies for much of the day, starting with Barbie's Pegasus movie. Ellie likes it, but The Princess and the Pauper was better. We also watched a new VegiTales movie and an episode of Stargate (which was a gift from Karen).

Today we're having another quiet day, but I think I may see if any of Ellie's friends are home this afternoon to play.